Debtagging Debian-Med (Was: (user-)Tagging ITPs)

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Wed Aug 16 15:07:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

at first:  I wonder whether a discussion of this issues is better
located on Debian-Med list or  on debtags-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org.
The latter is in CC and I hope that interested people would be
willing to read the discussion on the Debian-Med mailing list
via list archive or just ask for a private CC of answers.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Charles Plessy wrote on Debian-Med list:

>> PS: Apropos tagging: Even more important than tagging the ITPs would be
>>     to start working on debtags.
>
> Agreed. All I am waiting for is a devel-announce telling debtags are mature
> and summarizing how packagers and users can use them.

I guess there were such postings in the past but I hope for
answers from the DebTags-masters what to read for a quick intro
here.

> If other persons
> in debian-med are interested, we could discuss in a separate thread
> about how to have a good start. It is just too easy to have 30 % done
> the first week, 40 % the second, 42 % the third, and then forget about
> debtags because nobody else uses them. On the other hand, If we are
> enough to commit to implement them properly in debian-med, this can
> motivate other developpers to follow the mouvement, thus giving a sense
> to our work.

IMHO whe have not that many packages to tag (about 42 or so) and
we have some kind of starting point in the meta packages that give
some classification.  IMHO we should strat with some reasonable
classifications first which means discussing whether the following
list would make sense:

      med::bio
      med::bio::devel
      med::cms  /  med::publication  /  med::web
              (I'm personally unsure whether we should tag zope-zms
                which is the only dependency of this meta package at all)
      med::dent
      med::imaging
      med::imaging::devel
      med::pharmacy
      med::physics
      med::practice
      med::tools  /  med::misc   /   med::foo (whatever)

Kind regards

              Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de