mail::notifiaction

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sun Dec 31 02:28:03 CET 2006

Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> I was about to tag logcheck as mail::notifiaction, and realized that
> it's mainly used to tag packages like biff.
>
> Tag descriptions
> mail::notification - Notification
>
> Package descriptions
> logcheck - mails anomalies in the system logfiles to the administrator
> biff - a mail notification tool
>
> I think some clarification is needed.

It's true, it could mean either "notification via e-mail" or
"notification of e-mail" - I think I've been confused by this one
myself in the past, but I hadn't got round to mentioning it.

Well, logcheck is already entitled to some combination like
admin::automation and protocol::smtp (plus the essentially redundant
mail::smtp), so its e-mail-ishness is more or less covered.  If we
make mail::notification mean "notification via e-mail" we won't have
any good way of marking what all those mailbox-status applets do.
(Unless we stretch works-with::mail, perhaps.)  So I'd vote for a
description like "notification of mailbox status".
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)