New on-disk index

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Feb 21 13:34:10 UTC 2006

Hello!

Recently I've been busy with Tagcoll code.  More specifically, I've been
working on a new high-performance disk index.  I've also implemented
some basic benchmarks.  These are the results:

================  ====================  ====================  ==========
Operation         TDBReadonlyDiskIndex  BasicStringDiskIndex  TDBIndexer
================  ====================  ====================  ==========
instantiating                    30ms                    0ms       310ms
hasTag                          200ms                    0ms         0ms
getTags[item]                   180ms                   90ms        40ms
getTags[items]                   10ms                    0ms         0ms
getItems[tag]                   330ms                   80ms        30ms
getItems[tags]                 1140ms                   20ms       170ms
getTaggedItems                   50ms                   10ms        20ms
getAllTags                      270ms                    0ms         0ms
getCardinality                  190ms                    0ms        40ms
getCompanionTags               1410ms                   60ms       280ms
output                        18910ms                 7740ms        50ms
outputHavingTags               1330ms                   90ms       200ms

TDBReadonlyDiskIndex is the disk index that is currently used in Debtags,
BasicStringDiskIndex is the new disk index and TDBIndexer is an in-memory only
index implemented with two binary trees.

I'd say, definitely not too bad.  YAY! :)

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>