If I do tagging, will it be used?

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jul 7 21:52:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 05:31:15AM -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:

> If I do tagging, will it be used?  I'd like to see the debian packages
> list fully tagged for Etch + 1, and am willing to do the work, but have
> held off, because I got the impression that submitted tags were just
> ending up in a backlog.  If I'm wrong on that please let me know,
> otherwise I'll hold off until tag processing is happening.

Please keep tagging.  Yes, tags are currently ending up in a backlog,
but Alex de Landgraaf is working on the tag inference AI that could be
put to use to approve 'obvious' tags, and for the rest we put together a
very good idea today here at RMLL (thanks to aba).

The idea is to have maintainers approve tags for their packages.

Approval can work on the web interface: a page can show the differences
between the tags in the Packages file and the tags in the central
database, and the maintainer can approve them entering a secret hash to
identify him/herself.  Once approved, the packages are committed into
the reviewed database and regularly (weekly?) sent to update the
Packages file.

The secret hash can be requested via a web page, sent via e-mail and
optionally stored in a cookie to avoid reentering it later.

This is luckily not hard to implement, and if no one volunteers I could
try working on it one month from now (I'll be away most of July).

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>