If I do tagging, will it be used?

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Mon Jul 10 21:43:54 UTC 2006

Enrico Zini wrote:
>> Does this mean that if I find a package that seems in need of a tag
>> there's no way to tell whether that tag has already been submitted?
>
> No: approval means copying a tag from the central database to the
> Packages file.

I was thinking of the pre-approval backlog that you mentioned.  But
okay, if there's no backlog, then the new tags will end up in
/var/lib/apt/lists/*Packages the next time I do an apt-get update on
an Unstable machine.  (Or, fortunately, the next time cron-apt does
it on my machine with Etch+Sid in its sources.list.)

But is there a way of browsing those tags, or do I need to download
them to /var/cache/debtags as well?  (I assume that gives the same
set of "approved" tags?)

And is there a way of seeing what has changed in the tags list,
other than stashing private backups and diffing?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)