If I do tagging, will it be used?

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Jul 13 19:19:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 02:22:37PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Enrico Zini wrote:
> > svn co svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tags
>  jbr at hurakan:~$ svn co svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tags
>  svn: URL 'svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tags' refers to a file,
>  not a directory
> There's probably some obvious fix, for those familiar with svn...
> but not being such a person I doubt I would get much out of it.

My mistake.  From where I am now I have to write mail offline, and I
can't double check what I say.  Sorry about it, I hope you don't mind if
it takes a couple iterations to converge to a good solution.

This should work:
  svn cat svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tags > tags
or:
  svn co svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb

> > or using "tags apt://" as the only debtags source in
> > /etc/debtags/sources.list
> Ah, right, thanks, that sounds useful.  Um, except that:
>  jbr at xamanek:~$ sudoedit /etc/debtags/sources.list
>  jbr at xamanek:~$ sudo debtags update
>  E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/apt could not be found.
>  E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/apt could not be found.
>  debtags: ConsistencyCheckException: Acquirer failed

Sounds like an older version of debtags which doesn't understand the
apt:// tag source.  Is you debtags version >= 1.5.4 ?  That is the
version where apt:// has been added.

> >> And is there a way of seeing what has changed in the tags list,
> >> other than stashing private backups and diffing?
> > You can checkout old versions from the database and tagcoll diff.
> I expect you can, but I'm best off sticking with what I've got.

Could you describe me what is the method that you've got?  In designing
newer ways of doing things, I wouldn't want to make people's life
harder.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>