role::devel-lib vs. role::shared-lib

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Thu Nov 30 09:19:03 CET 2006

Hello

> > Ok, looking at http://wiki.debian.org/DebTaggingGuidelines it seems like
> > role::shared-lib is the way to go. If you agree, I will updated the wiki
> > (which still mentions role::sw:shlib).
>
> As I understand it,
> role::shared-lib =
> 	"libfoo": run-time dependencies, usually full of .so files
>
> role::devel-lib =
> 	"foo-dev" build-time dependencies, usually full of .h files
>
> libfoo-dev packages are usually role::devel-lib, but may be
> metapackages or the like.
I have spent some time updating the wiki DebTaggingGuidelines. However,
I believe we should remove that page, now that tagging tips are
available from http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/edit-tips.html. The wiki
page was totally outdated, contradicting some of the things the new
tagging tips were saying.  Otherwise we get a redundancy.
For the tag/facet related tagging tips from the wiki, I would suggest to
provide an additional field in the vocabulary.
        Tagging-Hint: <something>
I think having the information collected in a single file helps to
maintain consistency.

Regards Ben