specifying tags in ITPs

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Sep 1 11:10:02 UTC 2006

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ warning: brain dump follows ]
>
> Having just did yet another ITP, I wondered: wouldn't it be nice to
> specify debtags tags directly in the ITP?
>
> After all that's the moment in a package life where I, as a maintainer,
> have to choose its section and priority, its description, ... In a sense
> is the moment when I classify a package, it should also be the moment
> when I tag it then!
>
> Has anyone thought about this in the past?
>
> I guess implementation would require to think about several issues, but
> first see if it's a feature desired only by me :-)

Maybe you can solve at the same time the problem of people not bothering
to replace template text with valid details. :)

But seriously, sure, it's a fine idea.  Since ITPs are also reviewed by
other developers, good tags given up front can help people understand
better how the proposed new package fits into Debian.

Ben