Debian Tag Browser severely b0rkend

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Sep 4 14:20:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 03:06:48PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:

> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?start=configuration+files
> gives we a layout, where everything is on the left, within a 10 character
> wide column.

Wow, I made it to find it.  And to fix it.
It was nasty.
I'd never, ever have made it if it weren't for Firefox webdevel's "View
generated source" and for the "Dom explorer".

I still haven't found why there was invalid data that was making
javascript crash.  I just catch the case where invalid facets and tags
show up, but they shouldn't show up.  I have no time now to investigate
more deeply, though.

> Additionally:
> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?start=quicksynergy
> takes about 10s and then gives me:
> "Modification of non-creatable array value attempted, subscript -1 at
>  Engine.pm line 826."

This is fixed.  And since it was near the smart search engine, I took
advantage of the opportunity to upgrade it with the new more intelligent
tag selection algorithm.

Now it's really intelligent.  Try it out and be amazed!

My favourite results are when you look for porn: it's very a powerful
effect.  However, in that case the algorithm is cheating and looks
smarter than it actually is.  But in all other cases, it is smarter than
you've ever thought an algorithm could be :)

Please someone remind me to implement wanted tags autoselection (first
most popular tags that anded together give a nonempty and not too small
result set) also in the debtags smart search and in the python smart
search prototype.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>