Tags questions

Ethan ethan.glasser.camp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 02:07:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of question or not,
but I thought I'd ask and see if I got flamed :)

1) I see that there are tags works-with-format::zip, but not
works-with-format::gzip. I'm not sure exactly how useful something like that
would be, or how many formats tags ought to be created for..

2) I'm trying to tag libcompress-raw-zlib-perl, which is a low-level
interface to the zlib library that isn't used by anything except other,
higher-level Perl zlib libraries. I would say the average user is going to
think of it as a role::shared-lib, because even if they develop software,
they'd probably look for a higher-level zlib library
(libiocompress-zlib-perl, libcompress-zlib-perl). On the other hand, they
might want to use it as a role::devel-lib if they're developing for some
weird situation where the lower-level interface is better (embedded
systems.. that use Perl? Not sure). For now I tagged it role::devel-lib, but
I thought it would be helpful to explain why this was a hard decision for me
and ask. DebTaggingGuidelines says that role::devel-lib is any "code library
that can be used by developers" [emphasis mine], but edit-help says "*What
does the package look like from this point of view?*"

Ethan