Tags questions

Ethan ethan.glasser.camp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:37:00 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:

> > 1) I see that there are tags works-with-format::zip, but not
> > works-with-format::gzip. I'm not sure exactly how useful something like
> that
> > would be, or how many formats tags ought to be created for..
>
> I think there's no works-with-format::gzip because it's so widely
> supported that I have trouble seeing a use case for someone looking for
> "something that can handle gzips": almost everything can.
>
> There is however more than a use case for looking for programs that can
> unpack a .zip file.  At least, this would be the rationale, but I can of
> course be missing something.

OK, so you don't expect to have works-with-format::* for every format.

I understand your point.  Maybe we need something to encode a concept
> like "the maintainer believe this package is not to be used directly,
> but instead as a runtime support for more high-level libraries", but I
> can't think of any straightforward way of doing that.

Maybe role::dependency? Or special::dependency, by way of analogy with
special::obsolete?

I'd say, happily go with role::devel-lib and leave it to the users to
> decide if they need it or not.  In fact, you can take advantage of the
> package description and add a note telling them that they most likely
> don't, unless in very few specific cases.

I'm not the package maintainer, so I can't do that, but hopefully it should
be clear enough when looking at the package description.

Ethan