Versioned tag information

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Sun Feb 4 12:22:28 CET 2007

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:43:40 +0100
Benjamin Mesing <bensmail at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> here is an idea I came up with, when thinking about the discussion of
> different tag sets for different releases (thanks Justin for bringing it
> up!).
>
> The idea is somewhat borrowed from versioned bugs. If a tag is added to
> a package, the tag is submitted together with the version information
> for the package.

This is something you already get for free with tags declared in the control
file.

> Tag submission from a standalone application (like debtags edit) could
> be easily enriched with version information, taken from the currently
> installed version of the package. If the package is not installed, the
> information about the version that would be installed is added.
>
> For online submissions things are a little bit more complicated. The
> best way would probably be, to let the user select the release he is
> tagging (stable, testing, unstable). The version information would be
> resolved at the server side.

I would go for the "let the user select the release he is tagging" also in
debtags-edit.

> Finally the maintainer could do the tagging using two fields in the
> control file. One for defining diffs, and one for totally redefining the
> whole tag-set.
>         Tags-Diff: +tag1, +tag2, -tag3
> and
>         Tag-Set: tag1, tag2, tag3, tag4, tag5

Why the need to have two different fields?
Wouldn't be a single Tags: field be enough?

> Though the whole thing might offer some challenges, I believe it would
> be worth the effort.

Of course it would :)

--
KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>