Which DebTag for Debian-Med ?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jan 8 15:12:12 CET 2007

I guess this discussion originated off-list, so I'm going to respond to some points made by several people in the same message, since I don't have the originals to reply to.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 07:07:53 +0100 (CET)
Andreas Tille <tillea at rki.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> > There were some discussions some time ago, but if I remember correctly,
> > they did not lead to some consensus. Now that Debtags are getting more
> > widespread, it is time to add a Debian-Med stamp on the packages we are
> > interested in.
> >
> > For the ending of the tag, I think that it would be very useful to have
> > the name of the metapackage. Something such as ::med::bio, or
> > ::med::imaging. But how about the beginning of the tag?
> >
> > cdd::med:: ?
> > suite::debian::med ?
> > debian-med:: ?

Like Thijs Kinkhorst, I think "field" would be better to differentiate.  As you have said, Andreas, debtags cannot replace metapackages, but it can supplement.  So we have to decide how.  Mere duplication of the metapackage classification doesn't seem to be very smart.

Supposing a package is tagged suite::debian-med, field::medicine:imaging.  This conveys both that a package is used in the field of medical imaging *and* is contained within debian-med.  The Debian-med CDD can use this tag info to generate the meta-package, along with some additional hints that cannot be provided by debtags (e.g. alternatives).

> > Apparently, other CDDs are not behaving the same way. debian-junior has
> > its own facet, but debian-edu uses suite::debian for two of its
> > packages...

Debian Jr. is set up this way only as a trial.  We plan to move to a scheme similar to what I have described above.  I just haven't gotten off my butt yet to make it happen.

As for the debian-edu's use of suite, that sounds wrong ...  I don't see which package uses "suite::debian", but I do see suite::gnome and suite::kde used for education-desktop-gnome and education-desktop-kde respectively, but my understanding is that this means "education-desktop-gnome is a part of the GNOME suite" and likewise for the kde version.  Surely that's not right.

Ben
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org