works-with-format::dvi

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Mar 6 11:33:29 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 07:15:37PM +0100, Matej Kosik wrote:

> Is it possible to suggest new tags here?

Sure, this is the right place.

> Do you think that such tag as
> 	works-with-format::dvi
> should exist? If it existed, it would be possible to add this tag to
> 	tetex-bin
> 	texlive-base-bin
> (they provide /usr/bin/xdvi) and the
> 	evince
> package (because `evince' can display `dvi' files too in a similar way as it can display Postscript or PDF).

It sounds good to me, but before adding a tag I'd like to see the names
of 6 or 7 packages in Debian that would use of it.

> Should people do that (if it occurs to them that they would have sense)?

Oh yes please.

> Is the semantics of the contemporary tags explained in detail somewhere?

The best we have is the vocabulary at
http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/tags/vocabulary.gz

The long description contains some extra information (for example in
scope::utility) for some of the less obvious tags.  However, the idea is
that there should be no non-obvious tag, as a tag that is difficult to
understand doesn't help in simplifying the task of searching for
packages.

> Should new changes be submitted via `debtags-edit' program or through
> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/edit.html

Both methods are fine, just pick the one that is more comfortable for
you.  The web interface is probably the best interface among the two.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>