OpenRating system for games

Ethan ethan.glasser.camp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 01:18:37 UTC 2008

On Feb 14, 2008 1:22 PM, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some time ago I started developing a game rating system [1] for Debian
> games, based in DebTags. The facets and tag categories [2] are close
> to be finished, and I really would love to have some feedback in case
> someone was interested.

I really like this! Every time I come up with something I think isn't
covered by the vocabulary, I check and see that it is. A few notes:

rating:discrimination::racism uses the word "etnia"; I've never seen
this word before (can't find it on Wikipedia or Webster's). Perhaps
you meant ethnicity?

I think you should clarify what is meant by rating:theme::death. A
video game player may interpret this to mean death of a character you
care about, but someone else might interpret this to mean death of
anyone or anything.

I see from your response to Paul that you intend for some kind of
graduated scale for classifying games, but I'm concerned that if
someone excludes "rating:violence::realistic", this will also exclude
packages with "rating:violence::realistic:optional". This might or
might not be what the user wanted.

Also, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but why are
there single colons some places and double colons other places? I can
guess that "rating" is a special tagset and so gets its own namespace,
and "violence::realistic" is a facet and a tag, and "optional" is some
kind of extended tag part, but I think it looks weird to have one
colon one place and two colons other places. I guess users might not
see the actual tags or never have to enter them by hand, but if they
did, they might wonder. I don't know if this is important or not.

Ethan