debtags for wnpp bugs?

Luca Brivio lucab83 at infinito.it
Sat Feb 23 19:43:25 UTC 2008

Hello,

often it seems to me that wnpp bugs could be more useful than they are. For
example, when one search the lists for (new) packages to maintain or to help
with, she has nearly no way to quickly select packages based on some
criteria.
On the other hand, several Debian sub-projects have their own manually updated
lists of both software already in Debian and other interesting software, but
AFAICS for most of the latter no bug is filed, I guess because given the
number of the RFP bugs and thus the length of that list people tends to
submit bugs for particularly important software only, while e.g. wikis allows
at least to organize software in categories (see DebianScience), and so
encourage to keep complete lists.

My idea is that facets and tags would be a far better way to have prospective
and orphaned packages organized. Of course, wnpp refers to source, while
debtags currently only refers to binary packages...
If filed wnpp bugs could contain tags, we may obtain lists of software which
is not in Debian, by type, language, field, etc. just like we can do now
through debtags-related tools and APIs. RFPs IMHO would become more useful,
Debian sub-projects' webpages may show automatically updated lists of
interesting packages and packages being worked on, it would be easier to
check for already filed wnpp bugs, and so on.

Do you think it would be feasible to implement this? it would be worth it? Do
you see technical problems or drawbacks being there?

Cheers,
--
Luca