[udd] injecting debtags information

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Sep 18 16:37:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 04:42:02PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:01:58AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > At the moment, these two (that need to be merged together):
> >   svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tagdb
> This one does not exist, but there is
>   svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/tagdb/tags
> which I'm quite sure is what you meant. The format looks obvious ...

Yes indeed, sorry.

> >   svn://svn.debian.org/svn/secure-testing/data/package-tags
> .. while the format of this one is obscure to me, as I don't see any
> tags in it, but only something like sections.

I have a script that parses it and it has a bit of magic inside, so I
don't suggest you reimplement it but I suggest you get the parsed merged
data from me.

> > I have scripts that take data from both sources, merge them and upload
> > it as tag overrides.  I have been meaning for a long time to also
> > publish the merged dataset somewhere, but I've never had the excuse to
> > push me to do it.  This could be the excuse: let me know if you have
> > special requirements, otherwise I was thinking of publishing it
> > similarly to what you find in http://debtags.debian.org/tags/
> Yes, the merged data set would be wonderful.

Ok, I'll do it and let you know when I'm done.  Ping me on Jabber if you
don't see me doing it, as I'm in a rather busy period atm.

> It looks like that http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/tags/tags-current.gz
> has the very same format of the first URL you mentioned, so maybe we can
> start injecting tags-current.gz and switch to the URL of the merged
> dataset as soon as it is available. Would it be OK with you?

It is ok, but I suggest you inject from the svn version instead.

> Any other drawback in polling against tags-current.gz rather than
> against tags from svn?

Yes: tags-current.gz is unreviewed, and it gets whatever is added by
anonymous people on the debtags web tagging interface.  The version in
subversion instead is manually reviewed, and more reliable.

> Finally, my understanding is that the only tags coming from
> testing-security are those related to the security support of a given
> package, and that all other tags are coming from the debtags alioth
> project. Is this correct?

It is indeed correct.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>