Debian Open Rating System

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Tue Sep 23 21:21:59 UTC 2008

2008/9/23 Andrew K. Bressen <akb+lists.debian-devel-games at mirror.to>:

> Hi--

Hi,

> In the relationship issues, I think there should be an
> entry for team games; they could be tagged both coop and competitive,
> but I think team might be a little more clear. Also, how would,
> say, Diplomacy be tagged? Players compete and form alliances
> and break alliances, so cooperation and competition are a bit fluid.

I agree that most of team games are both cooperative and competitive.
The question is whether we might cooperative games that are not
competitive and also competitive but not cooperative or if both tags
will always be used together.

I've never played Diplomacy, but I guess it would be something like this:

violence::minor
violence::against-humans
sex::none
social::cooperation
social::competition
issues::war
cognitive::formal
cognitive::time-to-think
physical::manipulative
physical::low-coordination
physical::slow-movements
skills::strategy
skills::leadership
skills::social
educational::geography
educational::history
educational::social

Notes:
  violence::minor because the violence is not shown
  ! violence::against-players because it's not the other player's
symbolic representation that is shown
  I doubt about social::domination and/or social::manipulation instead
of social::cooperation and social::competition because I don't really
know which kind of socialization is encouraged by the game rules. I
don't think the game especially encourages manipulation. I don't think
social::domination should be used either, as I guess the idea is to
kill all the other players, not enslave them and make them obey you,
but I might be wrong.
  I doubt about skills::logic as I've never really played the game and
don't know for sure if it helps developing logical and deductive
skills.

> Also, I'd reduce the use of the word character, as plenty of multiplayer
> games aren't character based.

Thanks, I'll take care of that, you're right :)

I'll have to think about the exact texts anyway.

> I'd be more specific on coordination; does game use keyboard? mouse?
> both at once?

That part is quite tricky and I didn't really expect it to be too
accurate, just to give a global hint on how it works, so at least some
filters can be applied, for example for smaller kids or physical
handicapped people.

More or less (gray areas to be defined) it would be something like:

physical::low-coordination - You can play the game with just one finger.
physical::synchronous-coordination - You need more than one finger,
one or two hands, or maybe also a foot or whatever, but the movements
are synchronized, as in kinda moving all the fingers at a common
rhythm. For example using different keys or a pad for moving mario
jumping and firing things in the world.
physical::asynchronous-coordination - You use both hands, and each one
controls a different aspect of the game in an asynchronous way, for
example the joystick for moving the avatar and the keys for using the
different weapons and changing camera point of view.

Any suggestion on how to improve this?

Greetings,
Miry