Debian Open Rating System

Peter De Wachter pdewacht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:04:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:39:05 +0200
"Miriam Ruiz" <miriam at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've more or less finished the taxonomy [1] for the rating system [2]
> for the games in Debian. Before starting to implement stuff on it, I'd
> like to have feedback on it, so if you're interested I'm really
> interested in your comments.
>
> Greetings,
> Miry
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRating/Categories
> [2] http://wiki.debian.org/OpenRating

A few things that jumped out at me:

* violence::against-players(optional) might be useful. Doom for example
has both cooperative and deathmatch multiplayer modes. MMORPGs might
allow player-killing only in certain zones or only if you opt-in.

* sex::innuendo(optional) is missing. I admit it's
rather implausible, but it would make that facet more c :)

* issues::heretic. "Heretic" seems a very loaded term to me, and the
description given doesn't fit well with the dictionary definition of
the word. Perhaps "anti-religion" would be better. I'm not sure
if this is really needed, it seems to be a special case of
issues:social-values.

* cognitive & physical: These sections are very technical. For example
the description of cognitive::preconceptual is completely meaningless
to me except for "2-4 years old". If that tag actually means
"this game is playable by 2-4 year olds", just say so :)

--
Peter De Wachter