Questions regarding "Smart Search" and Tagging via the Webinterface

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Thu Apr 9 12:21:25 UTC 2009

Hello,

thanks for your answers!

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 12:12 +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:32:04PM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
>
> > in preparation of a presentation I will be holding about Debtags I would
> > like to ask some (further) questions:
> >  1. How does the smart search operate? One first provides a seed for
> >     a full-text search. Then the tag (sometimes multiple tags are
> >     selected here) occuring most often is choosen as wanted tag.
> >     That's the initial tag-set that is searched for. Entering a new
> >     search pattern produces a new set of "Available" tags. Does this
> >     search only the results of the previous search?
>
> First, the keywords you enter are used to run a fill-text search on
> *packages*:

That's what I meant.

> In 'debtags smartsearch', every time you type keywords you're just
> generating a new set of tags to choose.  The search results depend on
> what tags you have chosen.

That's what my question question was about: So depending on the tags
you've choosen until then, the full text search searches only the
packages in the result set for those tags and then determines the most
significant tags for the search result. Right?

> The same mechanism is used in the tag editor, when you pick the
> Available tags / Search function.

I see, so even there the search for available tags relies on a full-text
packagesearch. I wasn't aware of that.

> It can also be used to generate a
> context-sensitive tag cloud during a package search: you can see that
> implemented at http://debtags.debian.net/dde/q/axi/cquery except that
> currently it does not work and I cannot fix it because it seems to be a
> problem in UDD.
>
> >  2. For the tag-editor (web), how are the suggested tags computed?
> >     By AI-methods?
>
> Same as the smart search.  Specifically, it uses Xapian: first it does a
> full text search on the packages,

I don't understand this. What is the search term for the full text
search? We have the package name and the package description of the
package being tagged, both would often lead to an empty result set.

Btw. are there any i18n efforts for the vocabulary under way?

Best regards

Ben