"Semantic" shell? (for lack of better name)

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sat Jan 3 13:47:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:51:12PM -0600, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> I'd like to work on a method to search for packages based off of
> recognized input file formats and recognized output file formats of
> the contained program(s). Maybe by MIME-type (RFC 2046), such as:

I'm not really able to reconcile this paragraph about "searching
packages on a recognized format basis" with the remaining part of your
post ...

Anyhow, debtags does offer a way to search for packages on the basis
of which file format they "work with". Have a look at the
"works-with-format" facet, e.g. in the debtags tag cloud [1]. It might
be less specific than what you need, for example it does not consider
the "direction" (input vs output) of the supported format. YMMV.

[1] http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cloud/

Cheers

PS preserving the fully quoted version of your post, to the benefit of
   debtags-devel at l.a.d.o readers