Suggested: protocol::zeroconf, protocol::mdns, and protocol::dns-sd

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Jan 22 23:08:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 03:20:40AM +0100, Teddy Hogeborn wrote:

> I suggest that the following three tags be added:
>
> protocol::zeroconf
>         ZeroConf; see <http://www.zeroconf.org/>
> protocol::mdns
>         mDNS; see <http://www.multicastdns.org/>
> protocol::dns-sd
>         DNS-SD; see <http://www.dns-sd.org/>
>
> An "apt-cache search" on any of these terms shows that a lot of
> packages in Debian use these protocols.  In addition, at least some
> packages use them without saying so in the package description; for
> instance the "mandos" and "mandos-client" packages.

I have no objection about adding those tags, except one question: is it
better to consider them as separate protocols, or is it better to create
only one tag that encompasses them all?

My impression is that those three protocols are normally found together
and so it could be useful to consider them as part of the same "protocol
suite".  In fact, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf also mentions
mDNS and DNS-SD as the "Name Resolution" and "Service discovery" part of
zeroconf.  That would make it look feasible to have one
protocol::zeroconf tag and describe it as including one or more of
IPV4LL, mDNS and DNS-SD.

I'm not a zeroconf expert though, so I'll accept your judgement.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>