Newbie offering help

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Jan 28 15:32:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 05:24:02PM -0200, Tássia Camões wrote:

> I've been reading about debtags for a while and I'm very interested in
> colaborating with the project. Is there any up-to-date todo list
> available where I could find some tasks compatible with my skills?
> Do you usually have meetings on IRC? I'd like to be around next time.
> Hope to hear from you soon.

Hello, and thanks for the offer.

There are very few active people, so in general you can just /msg me if
you want IRC or otherwise write here if email is good.

I don't think there are up to date TODO-lists around. I'll draft one
now:

 - bug #540218. Things to do can be:
    - tracking what functions of libept are used by aptitude,
      packagesearch and goplay
    - preparing and submitting patches to aptitude, packagesearch and
      goplay, to reduce the use of libept in favour of libxapian.
   goplay is probably the easiest code base to work with and can be a
   starting point, followed by packagesearch and finally aptitude.

 - packaging the various debtags-related packages (apt-xapian-index,
   debtags, libept, tagcoll). I could really use someone to take care of
   the everday packaging chores (for example, testing and applying the
   patch for #547074, fixing #562078, redoing the fetch script to fix
   #481634 and #478590, fixing the manpage in #542525,

 - fixing #442836 which is basically creating a script (in python or
   perl) that reads a file like
   http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/tags/vocabulary.gz and outputs a
   nice static HTML page describing all the tags. We can then install
   the script on alioth and have that page autogenerated once a day.

   Once the script works, it may tickle the appetite and we can see
   interesting information to add to the page: so it's not just about
   creating the script, but maintaining it over time.

 - improving the website. We could for example replace the current
   static pages with ikiwiki so they are easier to edit. But then they
   need editing: for example, to fix #442845. Or remove broken links and
   weed out outdated information.

 - maintaining the vocabulary; for example, see #508455. This mostly
   means applying common sense and tracking consensus when proposals to
   rename, merge or create tags are discussed in the list.

 - helping in the rewrite of the web tagging interface. This is
   TurboGears2 + sqlalchemy + python-xapian web application development.

GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>