Refactoring the vocabulary

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Wed Mar 24 06:09:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

while there is a point to the fact, that some facets could be more or less covered by other facets (like office, which IMO is more like a purpose classification), I think they still serve their purpose. I believe those facets still describe a useful concept. Besides where would you draw the line? E.g. not every package has a uitoolkit, is hardware related or has something to do with the network.
The problem with the number of facets is more a UI-issue, which can be solved (look e.g. at Enrico's smart search [1]). I agree, that at one point we could start grouping some facets, e.g. if we start having facets for every field of science, but I do not think that this is neccessary now.

Best regards

Ben

[1] http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/ssearch.html

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:52:42 -0300
> Von: "Tássia Camões" <tassia at gmail.com>
> An: debtags-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
> Betreff: Refactoring the vocabulary

> Hello team,
>
> I've been thinking about the group of facets and tags defined in the
> vocabulary and I would like to open a discussion on this topic.
>
> It doesn't seem reasonable to me that, for example, facets like
> "implemented-in" and "biology" are at the same level of hierarchy in
> the categorization. While some facets can really be defined as
> "different points of view from which to look at the package archive",
> some other seem only to be the relation with a specific field (as it
> happens with "biology", that most of the packages will never be
> categorized under this facet).
>
> Using this aproach we would be much closer to the magic number 7 plus
> or minus 2 mentioned by [1].
>
> As a first draft, the ones I would consider as "first level" facets are:
>
> culture, field, implemented-in, hardware, interface, made-of, role,
> scope, network, suite, uitoolkit, use, works-with, works-with-format
>
> The others seem to be "second level" ones ( they could be nested,
> maybe under a "section" facet):
>
> accessibility, admin, biology, devel, filetransfer, game, junior,
> mail, office, protocol, security, sound, web, x11
>

> I don't know all the implications of doing such a change, but I'd be
> happy to make you think about this.
>
> [ ]'s
>
> Tassia.
>
> [1] http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html

GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment für nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02