need to reuse a debtag page

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Apr 19 09:39:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 03:36:05PM -0400, Raul Perez-Alejo Neyra wrote:

>  Hello, i was implementing something similar to
>
> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cloud/
> and
> http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/fts.html
>
> for the same propouse, but i was wondering if there is any posible
> way to reuse this same pages. Are they package?, if not, is there
> any way to package them?

Rello Raul,

from http://www.enricozini.org/2007/debtags/apt-xapian-index/
I made a series of posts (follow "Next in the series" links at the
botton of pages) on how to query apt-xapian-index, which is something
you can use now to build nice tag clouds.

http://www.enricozini.org/2007/debtags/axi-query-expand/ shows how to
get xapian to suggest terms: the suggestions can be used to build a tag
cloud, either filtered so that only tags show, or with any term. Xapian
is fast enough that the tag cloud can be context-sensitive to a query
that is being typed, although I'm not trying to suggest that this is a
useful interface.
http://www.enricozini.org/2008/debtags/axi-searchcloud/ is even more
specific about tag clouds.

The apt-xapian-index index is found in most Debian systems by now: try
running 'axi-cache' to see if you have it, otherwise you can install
the 'apt-xapian-index' package. It is also used by software-center and
it has been picked as the index back-end for the AppStream project
(http://distributions.freedesktop.org/wiki/AppStream/Implementation) so
it could be a good idea to spend some time playing with it: there is
really a lot of things that can be done (for example:
http://www.enricozini.org/2011/debian/pkgshelf/)

GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>