hardware:: tag matching lib plans

Michael Vogt mvo at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 25 16:49:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 02:26:17PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 01:17:41PM +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
>
> > Thanks! That makes indeed perfect sense given how closely the hw
> > debtags and the lib needs to be coupled. I will prepare a branch for
> > it.
>
> I see your commits, and raise a debtags-hardware scripts that runs the
> library code.

Great idea.

> I also took the liberty to make GUdev an optional
> dependency.

Thanks for this too.

> I notice that you mention branches, which in fact makes sense: I feel a
> bit wary of committing on your code without review. Should we work on
> branches, or on personal working trees, or something like that?
>
> I am open to suggestions: you have more experience in this than I do.

I think branches are a good way of doing non-trivial changes. For
simple fixes and such I'm happy to just to them in master.

I'm pretty excited about the hw-generate-expressions branch and did a
bit of mucking around in it in hw-generate-expressions2 now. I love
your idea of the generator function! I simplified it a little bit as
currently HW is described via a single tag again. Review/feedback
welcome, I broke the --pkgreport unfortunately currently as the the
simplification for generate_tag_expressions() now returns a "status,
tag" intead of "status, taglist". If you approve of the general
direction I'm happy to fix that of course.

Cheers,
 Michael