mistakes on the website
enrico at debian.org
Thu Jan 26 13:30:12 UTC 2012
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:04:26AM +0100, Simon Paillard wrote:
> > I propose you:
> > private one-to-one communication, it also supports chat rooms, and it is used
> > in the XMPP network as well as for the IM capabilities for the Google Talk
> > network.
> > In contrast to other IM networks like MSN, ICQ or AIM, the XMPP servers
> > are free software and can be used to create a private chat platform or have
> > an own server to connect to the XMPP network.
> > Link: http://xmpp.org/ Link:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Messaging_and_Presence_Protocol
Thank you Neustradamus and Simon.
Indeed the meaning of Jabber/XMPP has changed since that description was last
taken from Wikipedia. I am lazy and I like reusing content, so I prefer to
track Wikipedia with tag descriptions.
I'd keep the tag name as protocol::jabber for now, as changing a tag name is a
rather heavyweight thing; however I agree that at some point protocol::jabber
should probably become protocol::xmpp, especially as more non-chat software
will appear that use XMPP.
Here is the patch I committed, let me know if it sounds reasonable:
@@ -1858,18 +1858,20 @@ Description: IRC
- The Jabber protocol is an instant messaging protocol on the basis of the XMPP
- protocol. Additionally to private one-to-one communication, it also supports
- chat rooms, and it is used in the Jabber IM network as well as for the IM
- capabilities for the new GoogleTalk network.
- In contrast to other IM networks like MSN, ICQ or AIM, the Jabber servers are
- free software and can be used to create a private chat platform or have an own
- server to connect to the Jabber network.
- Link: http://www.jabber.org
- Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabber
+ Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is an open-standard
+ communications protocol for message-oriented middleware based on XML
+ (Extensible Markup Language).
+ The protocol was originally named Jabber, and was developed for
+ near-real-time, extensible instant messaging (IM), presence information, and
+ contact list maintenance.
+ Designed to be extensible, the protocol today also finds application in VoIP
+ and file transfer signaling.
+ Link: http://xmpp.org/
+ Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 490 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
More information about the Debtags-devel