Use debtags to locate hardware related packages?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Jan 9 19:48:53 UTC 2013

Hi.  I blogged today about an idea to make it easier to get hardware
dongles working with Debian by automatically proposing packages to
install when new hardware is inserted.  See
for the details.

By chance I later today discovered the debtags-hardware script and
related code in the debtags git repository, and it seem to me like the
ideas there are related to my ideas.

Would you be interested in providing for debtags to be used to find
hardware related packages?

For this to work, I believe we must be able to tag packages with PCI and
USB IDs.  Perhaps something like hardware::usb::1d6b:0001 for packages
handling the USB device with vendor ID 1d6b and model ID 0001, and
hardware::pci::8086:1077 for packages handling the PCI device with
vendor ID 8086 and model ID 1077.

Are you interested in creating such tags?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen