Use debtags to locate hardware related packages?

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jan 25 14:26:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:20:37PM +0100, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> > For this to work, I believe we must be able to tag packages with PCI and
> > USB IDs.  Perhaps something like hardware::usb::1d6b:0001 for packages
> > handling the USB device with vendor ID 1d6b and model ID 0001, and
> > hardware::pci::8086:1077 for packages handling the PCI device with
> > vendor ID 8086 and model ID 1077.
> >
> > Are you interested in creating such tags?
>
> I do not think, this is a good idea. Tags are mainly aimed to be used by
> humans (directly or indirectly). Creating such technical tags (and lots
> of them) would not work well with the tagging approach and totally bloat
> the tagging database.

Agreed. Device-specific tags have a far too fine granularity and would
be an abuse for a classification system.

I guess two approaches should complement each other: debtags can give
you, say, a list of software you could use with a webcam, while the
system you are building can figure out that you plugged in a webcam that
requires a specific firmware to run.

Your system's great to get stuff working, then debtags can answer the
question: "what's all the cool stuff I can do with it?"

GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>