Debtags for defining the minimal age that a program can generally be used

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Wed Sep 11 11:54:57 UTC 2013

2013/9/11 Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu>

> Hi Miriam,

Hi! Thanks for your comments :)

> as I said I like your idea of age based debtags but it seems there is
> not so much response.  I admit I do not feel really competent here but
> its a shame to leave you alone with a good idea.

Yup, I wonder why, if no one is interested, or if they feel it's not a good
idea. I'll keep working on it at my pace, though.

> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 11:00:23PM +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> > The first thing I would like to do is to classify the games that might be
> > appropriate for kids of different ages, and based on that build the rest.
>
> I think you should not "serialise" your plan that way.  If you really
> want to get this DebTags idea as "first thing" done and the support
> would remain that way you might end up in a dead-end street.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Currently debtags are powerful
enough to extract lists from the archive and work from there, so I think it
would be a good way to automatize things.

> > Of course there are many different criteria for doing that, some
> objective,
> > some subjective.  ...
>
> As I said I I feel incompetent here but I would not try to apply
> scientific criteria to strictly here.  It seems different systems agreed
> about four age groups with just different names and some slight
> difference in the age.  Since we are definitely not able to make the
> distinction of age in our target packages / programs that sharp IMHO it
> does not matter a lot what system we choose.

Yup. the problem here is that if we're dealing with developmental or
physiological objective classification, that classification can be
reasonably assumed to apply to kids throughout different cultures, whereas
if we are also dealing with moral classification (violence, nudity,
religion, profanity, whatever), that would not only depend on the culture,
but also on the parent's values.

> > Somehow it seems that a good level of granularity might be 3 years, with
> > some approximate boundaries at 2/3, 6, 9, and 11/12 years. So my initial
> > idea is to define a set of tags with some name I can't currently figure
> out
> > year, that would be like:
> > A) An average baby of 3 years old could use the program according to
> their
> > cognitive, sensimotor and psychosocial stage of development.
> > B) An average child of 6 years old could use the program according to
> their
> > cognitive, sensimotor and psychosocial stage of development.
> > C) An average kid of 9 years old could use the program according to their
> > cognitive, sensimotor and psychosocial stage of development.
> > D) An average pre-teen of 12 years old could use the program according to
> > their cognitive, sensimotor and psychosocial stage of development.
>
> Sounds reasonable.
>
> > The best thing about such a simple system is that it's quite easy to
> know,
> > whoever has kids around know which programs they are able to manage, in
> > both aspects of cognitive development ("the way they think"),
> sensorimotor
> > development ("how complex and quick the managing of the program might
> be"),
> > etc.
>
> Yes, please keep the system pretty simple.

Yes, that's why I thought omething like this could work, and I still do.

> > One thing I would like to decide is whether an objective classification
> of
> > this kind should be generic enough (and be allowed to, and under which
> > conditons) to be put into the standard debtag set (other tags, mostly
> > subjective or culturally dependent ones should have to go into their own
> > package), which will definitely bring a lot of benefits.
>
> I have the gut feeling that this could work out somehow.

I would like some input from Enrico or from people from the debtags mailing
list too, to see what they might think about this, and if there's a
possibility to make it work. That's essentially one of the things I was
hoping as a feedback to my original email.

Greetings and thanks,
Miry