Debtags for defining the minimal age that a program can generally be used

Miriam Ruiz miriam at debian.org
Wed Sep 11 21:20:44 UTC 2013

2013/9/11 Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu>

> Hi Miriam,

Hi!!

>  > I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Currently debtags are powerful
> > enough to extract lists from the archive and work from there, so I think
> it
> > would be a good way to automatize things.
>
> My remark was *not* about DebTags technique but about your personal
> workflow.  You said: "The first thing I would like to do".  I think if
> you want to start with "The second thing" only *after* the DebTags
> thingy is solved the advance of the project would be *very* slow.  So
> you DebTags idea is interesting but I would "parallelise" my personal
> workflow with other things. :-)

Maybe we should start setting up the lists of packages that might be
relevant for kids, at the same time. It's not obvious what those packages
might be, I mean, there's like a dozen of them which are very clear, but
more in depth analysis is going to probably be needed for the rest. I'm not
really sure about how to handle that, without relaying on some
community-based tool such as debtags or wiki, and I obviously don't feel
myself capable of doing it all alone.

> > Yup. the problem here is that if we're dealing with developmental or
> > physiological objective classification, that classification can be
> > reasonably assumed to apply to kids throughout different cultures,
> whereas
> > if we are also dealing with moral classification (violence, nudity,
> > religion, profanity, whatever), that would not only depend on the
> culture,
> > but also on the parent's values.
>
> Ben Armstrong had some clue how to make some classification and IMHO
> this is the only chance for an objective classification.

I like Ben's approach. At the same time, there's a part of the
calssification that is undoubtely objective, and it's the part that has to
do with developmental stages, as I mentioned.

 You should expect some delay / send some ping to the debtags list

> because it is not very active since some years[1].

Yup, I guess that we will have to be patient about this.

Greetings,
Miry