the use of debtags in Ubuntu 14.04

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Sat Jun 21 12:36:13 UTC 2014

Hi Patrick,

> For a sad reason, Ubuntu seems to be missing all that tag information.
> Does anybody know why? Is there a link to an official statement by any
> chance?

I do not know, if there is an official statement. Until today I
believed, that even in Ubuntu there are debtags in use. Are you sure
there aren't any? You could install "debtags" on Ubuntu and run
e.g. debtags show packagesearch
to confirm this.

> How could I go about "implementing" debtags in Ubuntu 14.04? :)

Since they are usually forking from Debian, it should be relatively
simple. Maybe they are missing the debtags database? Debtags supports
various sources for its tags, so one could add custom databases here.
However, I am not an expert in debtags internal workings.

I propose you bring this topic to an Ubuntu mailing list.

Best regards

Benjamin