Upcoming release: 0.1.2

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 03:46:41 UTC 2007

I have completed my testing of the next release of DebTorrent. If you
would like to try out the upcoming release to test it, you can check
out the latest SVN version (should be r136). Testing instructions are
in the README file. I am aiming to release it on July 9th, which
happens to be the midterm deadline for the Google SoC.

This new release introduces the following changes (also in the Changelog):

* Add proxying capability to listen for HTTP requests from APT
* Add caching for all files downloaded
* Add automatic starting of torrents when Packages files are downloaded
* Modify startup to initialize all torrent downloads to download nothing
* Add automatic enabling of files to download based on requests from APT
* Add a backup HTTP download from a mirror when no peers can be found
  for a package
* Modify torrent creation to break large packages into multiple pieces based
  on the information from http://merkel.debian.org/~ajt/extrapieces/
  (thanks to aj most of this)
* Add download status information available from http://localhost:9988/

It is also the first version that I consider usable, as it will
download packages even if there are no peers, and integrates well with
APT. The only thing missing is having it work better as a daemon, and
install easier from a deb file (both planned for the following
release: 0.1.3).

Enjoy,
Cameron