How can I clean the cache of debtorrent?

Cameron Dale camrdale at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 18:05:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Simon Pepping <spepping at leverkruid.eu> wrote:
> How can I clean the cache of debtorrent? I did this by find, also cleaning empty directories, but that was too aggressive, and brought debtorrent in a non-startable state:
>
> 2008-10-18 09:37:35,499 MainThread DebTorrent.launchmanycore ERROR SYSTEM ERROR - EXCEPTION GENERATED
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/DebTorrent/download_bt1.py", line 952, in loadState
>    d = self.pickled_data['resume data']['priority']
> KeyError: 'resume data'
>
> Or maybe it was due to the fact that I forgot to stop debtorrent client when I did the cleanup. I solved the problem by purging and reinstalling debtorrent. Maybe it would have sufficed to bring the cache back to a clean state: /var/cache/debtorrent/.DebTorrent/{data,piece,torrent}cache?

Deleting the entire cache probably would have worked fine if
DebTorrent was not running. Just remember to do an apt-get update
after you restart it so it can find the right torrents again.

> Which parts of the cache must be kept? Can you suggestions for a good script for this, that can run in a cron job?

I don't think anything needs to be kept if you're removing all the
downloaded packages in the cache. For more advanced ideas, see this
wishlist bug:

Thanks,
Cameron