[Debwebid-discuss] Web ID as passwordless authentication for debian web services

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Wed Aug 28 09:08:58 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel.

I've been slowly trying to play with OpenPGP and WebID, in the context
of its use in the Debian project, and wanted to investigate the possible
solutions to bind an OpenPGP key to a WebID.

Maybe your expertise on OpenPGP specs can help here.

Basically, in the same way as a X590 cert points with the subjectAltName
to a URI of a WebID document, I'd like my pubkey to point to such a URI.

I have checked in RFC 4880, and there seems to have been plans for
possible User attributes, but so far there's only such a use for photos
as JPEG.

I've then tried to embed a RDF triple pointing to the WebID URI inside a
QR code image, that I can then add as a (preferaby not primary) photo ID
in my pubkey (see a description of my experiment and some comments at [0]).

As a back link, my WebID then points back to the pubkey's
fingerprint. See an example at [1] for one of my own key.

I think this may be a way to allow some use of WebID, relying on the
Debian OpenPGP web of trust, and not necessarily on client certs. Of
course, a WebID could then be bound to both an OpenPGP key and a X509
cert.

The use of a QR code JPEG photo id is a bit of a hack, so do you have
any ide of whether it could be possible to support other types of user
attributes suck as a WebID URI, or some RDF fragment ?

Btw, I've just created a ML (in CC:) on alioth to serve for future
discussions about WebID in Debian, as a followup of the WebID BoF that
occurred at DebConf (gently moderated by Jonas, as I couldn't make it to
Le Camps). Feel free to join ;)

Best regards,

[0] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2013Aug/0087.html
[1] http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/info/pubkey/pubkey.txt