[Demi-devel] Re: demi

Andrew Pollock me@andrew.net.au
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:06:12 +1000

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:47:15AM +0100, C. Gatzemeier wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

> from your perl or python question on debian-devel I got to your project and
> since you asked for feedback, I liked your ideas.

Thankyou.

> Maybe you appreceate some related pointers for inspiration:
> Surfing for management tools I found some interesting things. One is the FAI
> project http://www.informatik.Uni-Koeln.DE/fai which also does make use of
> http://www.cfengine.org and might be somthing worth building on.
> Also, do you know the http://www.infrastructures.org site with many ideas for
> this topic?

Thanks for the references. I'm already aware of FAI and use it extensively
where I work. I do have an intention to tie Demi in with FAI in some way,
possibly for disaster recovery. Haven't thought about it much, but do want
to have it involved. I've also read the "Bootstrapping an Infrastructure"
paper at infrastructures.org. Demi's initial goal is more to assist with
maintaining an existing Debian infrastructure than deploying it though...

> And when manipulating configuration files no matter if from perl or python
> doing it through CFG would look like a good thing to me.
> http://freedesktop.org/Main/CFG

This looks interesting. I couldn't immediately find any evidence of it being
packaged in Debian though.

Thanks for your interest. I've really got to make some time to sit down and
design the initial database schema so I can throw it out for comment.

Andrew