[Demi-devel] Format for transferring machine information

John Morrissey jwm at horde.net
Wed Jan 11 15:24:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 07:12:57AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> My random musings:
>
> 1) Have a cron job create a tarball, suck the tarball back.

Doing this with a cron job seems a little expensive, since I'd like Demi to
update fairly often, to detect manual (i.e., not via Demi) changes to the
machine. Machines will also need to be updated every time a command is
completed (package install, etc.). Maybe call the job as-needed and then scp
it off?

Or how about a wrapper around scp that will detect a request for the
tarball, regenerate it, and then call scp(1) so the copy happens normally?
Kind of a transparent update. The demi user's authorized_keys could have a
command="/urs/sbin/demi-command-wrapper" stanza that could do this and also
limit the demi user to authorized commands, as a security measure.

> 3) Use the pipelining feature of the new version of OpenSSH

That feature seems really nifty. sarge shipped with OpenSSH < 4.0, but maybe
we could use this as an optimization, if available.

john
--
John Morrissey          _o            /\         ----  __o
jwm at horde.net        _-< \_          /  \       ----  <  \,