[dep-plumbing] DEP 5 ViewVC URL broken.

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Fri Dec 9 01:40:13 UTC 2011

Le Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:17:28AM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :

> I just realised that ViewVC's URLs suggested by Lintian or DEP 5 itself in the
> past lose their validity when a file is removed, and this is the case with the
> structural change made recently in the repository by Steve, where the dep5.mdwn
> template was replaced by a dep5/ subdirectory (ikiwiki will create a
> dep5/index.mdwn in both implementations).
>
> As a consequence, URLs such as the following are broken.
>
>   http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?revision=174

Hi all,

I restored dep5.mdwn, trying to be less invasive as possible, only
to realise that ViewVC will anyway not recoginse the continuity between
the revisions before and after the deletion.  The error message is now:

  An Exception Has Occurred
  Python Traceback

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/viewvc/lib/viewvc.py", line 4317, in main
      request.run_viewvc()
    File "/usr/lib/viewvc/lib/viewvc.py", line 397, in run_viewvc
      self.view_func(self)
    File "/usr/lib/viewvc/lib/viewvc.py", line 2574, in view_checkout
      path, rev = _orig_path(request)
    File "/usr/lib/viewvc/lib/viewvc.py", line 793, in _orig_path
      return _path_parts(request.repos.get_location(path, pathrev, rev)), rev
    File "/usr/lib/viewvc/lib/vclib/svn/svn_repos.py", line 762, in get_location
      raise vclib.ItemNotFound(path)
  ItemNotFound: web/deps/dep5.mdwn

So it looks like the only way to get the URLs functional again would be to ask
the Alioth admins to set up an Apache redirection to more robust URLs, such as

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/dep/web/deps/dep5.mdwn?revision=174&view=co&pathrev=174

Or maybe a ViewVC expert could tell if version 1.1.12 is able to better handle
file deletions (Alioth is running 1.1.5) ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Enhancement Proposals team