licensecheck: improvements

James McCoy jamessan at debian.org
Wed Oct 10 03:37:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 01:49:28PM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 05:28:29 Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > PS: Sorry for being a perfectionist.
>
> No excuse. We won't make any progress like this.
> This is not perfectionism but protectionism as you effectively (de-facto)
> protect licensecheck from any changes.

I haven't had a chance yet to read through all the patches, but this
caught my eye.

From the brief glance that I have had at the patches, there are plenty
of unnecessary changes mixed in among the useful changes.

A new contributor should expect to adapt to a project's existing style
and guidelines, not the other way around.  If you want to change those,
then you can raise a discussion about it.  Just throwing patches over
the wall and expecting us to take them wholesale because you've already
done the work isn't going to fly.

As far as project membership, that's not necessary to contribute.  Patch
sets (as you've done here) or a git repository to pull from will work
too.

Cheers,
--
James