licensecheck: improvements

James McCoy jamessan at debian.org
Wed Oct 24 19:49:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:10:16PM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 19.10.2012, 13:08 +1100 schrieb Dmitry Smirnov:
> > On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:59:10 Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > >
> > > My usual approach is the other way around: Improve the patches
> > > iteratively until I am happy and then apply them.
> > > [...]
> > > I agree that reduce duplication is a good idea.
> > >

> > Here is another patch (attached) and latest licensecheck.pl from Jessie with
> > attached patch applied.
> >
> > This time it is much nicer.
> >
> > I moved version() to VERSION section of embedded POD, blended help() with POD
> > and introduced --print-defaults once again as I believe it doesn't belong to
> > help().
> >
> > help() is re-implemented using pod2usage from Pod::Usage -- note that
> > 'autouse' load it dynamically only when we need to print something from
> > embedded documentation.
> >
> > Also I alphabetised list of options.
>
> Make sense (unless there were a reason to not alphabetize it).

I think Joey sums up[0] pretty well why alphabetizing a man page isn't
particularly useful.

  [0]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=8;bug=499487

If there's going to be effort in rearranging the man pages, it should be
in a way that actually provides some benefit.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan at debian.org>