debuild: force to compress data.tar with gzip instead of xz

James McCoy jamessan at debian.org
Sat May 10 19:48:49 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 06:38:48PM +0400, Sergey V. wrote:
> В письме от Суббота 10 мая 2014 10:09:03 пользователь James McCoy написал:
> > If you're using a 3.0 (quilt) format source package, you could add
> >
> >   compression = "gzip"
> >
> > in debian/source/options.
> It seems not works for me:
>
> > Alternatively, pass "-Zgzip" to debuild as part of the dpkg-buildpackage
> > options
> >
> >   debuild [debuild options] [dpkg-buildpackage options] [--lintian-opts
> > lintian options]
> I did tryed it too with same result:

Ah, right, that just handles compression of the orig tarball.  Your
initial approach was targeting the right command.

It doesn't look like dpkg provides a way to modify this behavior in a
more general manner.  Looks like your options are then to either

a) modify the rules file as you already suggested
b) rebuild current dpkg with default compression set back to gz
c) write a wrapper dpkg-deb script that adds "-Zgzip" to the command
   unless a non-xz option is already present

Option c is probably the easiest.  Just need to make sure it's present
in $PATH in your build environment before the real dpkg-deb and that it
doesn't call itself when it tries to run the real dpkg-deb.

Are you trying to build your own packages or rebuild existing Debian
packages?  If it's the latter, I wouldn't be surprised if you run into
more significant problems than this, as systems that don't even have
dpkg 1.15.6 are fairly old.

Cheers,
--
James