debuild: force to compress data.tar with gzip instead of xz

James McCoy jamessan at debian.org
Sun May 11 17:06:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 05:03:47PM +0400, Sergey V. wrote:
> В письме от Суббота 10 мая 2014 15:48:49 пользователь James McCoy написал:
> > c) write a wrapper dpkg-deb script that adds "-Zgzip" to the command
> >    unless a non-xz option is already present
> >
> > Option c is probably the easiest.  Just need to make sure it's present
> > in $PATH in your build environment before the real dpkg-deb and that it
> > doesn't call itself when it tries to run the real dpkg-deb.
> I like this approach. But seems debuild (or precisely its child
> tool/process) calls dpkg-deb by direct name, not looking into $PATH:
>
> $ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

The issue is likely that debuild sets $PATH to a sane default.  From
debuild(1):

  TERM is set to `dumb' if it is unset, and PATH is set to
  "/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11".

  If  a  particular  environment  variable  is required to be passed
  through untouched to the build process, this may be specified by using
  a --preserve-envvar envvar (which can also be written as -e envvar
  option).

You'll need to override it.

Cheers,
--