Z compression not yet supported (Was: mk-origtargz)

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed May 14 09:21:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 14.05.2014, 11:03 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> When trying to prepare a patch for scripts/Dpkg/Compression.pm I think we
> get a problem since it seems an implementation of /usr/bin/compress is
> lacking in Debian.  While you can uncompress .Z files via gunzip I have
> no idea how to fill in the '?' in the following snippet:
>
>     Z => {
> 	file_ext => 'Z',
> 	comp_prog => [ '???' ],
> 	decomp_prog => [ 'gunzip' ],
>         default_level => ?,
>     },

compress seems to live in the ncompress package.

> > > I have no idea about the role of Dpkg/Compression.pm - but .Z is
> > > definitely a compression which is used in the UNIX world.  Do you think
> > > it makes more sense to use something like
> > >
> > >    if ( $comp =~ /Z/ ) {
> > >       # handle Z compression manually
> > >    } else {
> > >       # current code
> > >    }
> > >
> > > to work around the fact that Debian packages are not using this?
> >
> > I’d rather not have such work-arounds cluttered through the code.
> > Copying the code from Dpkg::Compression would be cleaner.
>
> For sure.  Considering what I wrote above may be we should really use a
> code copy - even if this will leave us with inventing workarounds for
> 'comp_prog' and 'default_level'.  I have no idea how a clean solution
> might look like.  I just would consider it quite handy to deal with *.Z
> files by plain uscan without beeing forced to write a manual
> get-orig-tar target.

We don’t change the default level anyways, so when/if we copy the
module, we can simply drop support for handling compression levels. Yay
for code simplification.

For comp_prog, we can use use compress from ncompress.

Gruß,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner