Z compression not yet supported (Was: mk-origtargz)

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Thu May 15 09:42:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

to give an actual example which uncovers further problems I want to
discuss

   svn://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/trunk/packages/liboptimization-java/trunk/

Please note that the upstream ftp server is *very* weak and the command

   wget --output-document=../src.tar.Z ftp://www1.fpl.fs.fed.us/pub/optim/src.tar.Z

takes "ages" trying several times.  You should receive something with

$ md5sum src.tar.Z
3c8b52410388826591339014ee4fb25a  src.tar.Z

then I used the (Z compression enabled patched)

   mk-origtargz --repack --compress xz <path>/src.tar.Z

and obtained

   liboptimization-java_0.1.orig.tar.xz

However, if I try

$ LANG=C tar -taf liboptimization-java_0.1.orig.tar.xz
Blas_f77.java
Fmin.java
Fmin_methods.java
Fzero.java
Fzero_methods.java
Lmder_fcn.java
Lmdif_fcn.java
Minpack_f77.java
README
Uncmin_f77.java
tar: Skipping to next header
disclaimer
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Something seems to be broken which is not the case when I try simply
`LANG=C tar -taf src.tar.Z`.  This problem leads to the following
error when trying to build the package:

$ LANG=C debuild
 dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
dpkg-buildpackage: source package liboptimization-java
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.1-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution UNRELEASED
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Andreas Tille <tille at debian.org>
 dpkg-source --before-build liboptimization-java-0.1
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh clean --with javahelper
   dh_testdir
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_clean
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/andreas/debian-maintain/repack/liboptimization-java/liboptimization-java-0.1'
rm -f *.class *.jar
rm -rf optimization
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/andreas/debian-maintain/repack/liboptimization-java/liboptimization-java-0.1'
   jh_clean
   dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b liboptimization-java-0.1
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building liboptimization-java using existing ./liboptimization-java_0.1.orig.tar.xz
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
dpkg-source: error: tar --no-same-owner --no-same-permissions -xf - gave error exit status 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b liboptimization-java-0.1 gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1364:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed

I have no idea whether this is simply a consequence of the Z compression
method but I somehow think that after the repackaging process some kind of

   if ! LANG=C tar -taf liboptimization-java_0.1.orig.tar.xz >/dev/null ; then echo "An error occured" ; fi

(translated into proper Perl) should be done to verify the correctness of
the resulting tarball.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--