bash completions

Nicholas Bamber nicholas at periapt.co.uk
Tue Dec 1 23:20:21 UTC 2015

I have had a look through the man pages of these scripts and I would
classify them as follows:

default bash completion works
=============================
add-patch
edit-patch
dep3changelog
diff2patches
manpage-alert

not appropriate
===============
annotate-output
namecheck

would rather not touch VCs-specific scripts
archpath
cvs-debc
cvs-debi
cvs-debrelease
cvs-debuild
svnpath

consider
========
cowpoke
dcmd
debclean
debcommit
debdiff
debpkg
debrelease (err ...dput-ng?)
deb-reversion
desktop2menu
dpkg-depcheck
dpkg-genbuilddeps
mergechanges
nmudiff
origtargz
plotchangelog
sadt
suspicious-source
tagpending
what-patch
who-permits-upload
wrap-and-sort

packagenames would do as a stop gap
====================================
debcheckout

over SSH?
=========
debrsign

The VCS-specific commands are the most interesting. I don't think
VCS-specific commands deserve a lot of support. VCS systems historically
have come and gone (though perhaps that itself is history and git will
rule all.)

One approach would be to have commands like debcommit. So we would
replace archpath and svnpath (if they are doing something similar. I'm
not sure) with debpath that could support the same VCS systems as debcommit.

A second approach would be to have one command, say "debvcs" with
subcommands like "path", "commit", "checkout" etc. It would probably
also be OO with a base VCS class, and subclasses for git, cvs etc.

A third approach is to say that's all very nice, but I don't feel like
contributing to that. I kind of like the third approach.