BSD or BSD-source-clause-only ? (was Re: [devscripts] 01/01: licensecheck: fix BSD-2-clause detection..._

Dominique Dumont dod at debian.org
Sun Jun 21 16:33:38 UTC 2015

Hello

I've recently fixed licensecheck to correctly detect BSD-2-clauses licenses.

When only one clause is used, licensecheck mentions "BSD" license.

Turns out that there's no "official" BSD 1 clause license.

The only "official" BSD licenses [1] are:
- BSD-2-clause
- BSD-3-clause

I fear that using "BSD" keyword for a reduced BSD-2-clause license may induce
people in wrongly believing that this license is "official".

The other option is to use a keyword like "BSD-source-clause-only". This is
more accurate but is quite long.

What do you think ?

All the best

[1] http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php