FYI: license-check -reconsile ...

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Nov 2 13:55:02 UTC 2015

Quoting Osamu Aoki (2015-11-02 13:49:37)
> If there is a binary file license check tool, that can be used by
> debmake too.  At least, if there is a way to call its binary file
> scanner from other tool, it will be nice.  I have not looked at
> licensecheck in detail, but "embedded ICC profiles" is one concern
> which licensecheck like program should find out.

Right.  For those unaware, challenge with ICC profile is that they need
multi-layered extraction: First extract ICC binary data from JPEG or
other image format, and then extract metadata fields from the ICC data.

Best I have found is Image::ExifTool in package libimage-exiftool-perl.
It's a perl library but includes commandline interface "exiftool".

Other binary file types I use explicit extraction tools for in some of
the packages I maintain (including ghostscript if you wanna check the
actual code) are fonts (only Truetype, Trutype collections and
Truetrype-flavored OpenType so far).  For those I use the perl libraries
Font::TTF::Font and Font::TTF::Ttc which include no generic commandline
tool.  You might get reasonable metadata from lcdf-typetools instead,
but beware of its current RC bug.

 - Jonas