licensecheck testing and bug triage

Nicholas Bamber nicholas at periapt.co.uk
Wed Nov 25 20:56:09 UTC 2015

On 19/11/15 16:33, Dominique Dumont wrote:

>> 2.) I was wondering about all the test scraps in the test/licensecheck .
>> We could (or perhaps more realistically "could if we writing the tests
>> now") get the test data from the Software::License module.
>
> Err, as far as I know, there's no examples of file headers in Software::License
> module to test license data extraction.
>
> Did I miss something ?

I have had a play with this, and I agree we can't do away with hand
crafted test files. However my proof of concept script generates quite a
few files that licensecheck cannot identify. I think licensecheck
keeping up with Software::License would be a good test of comprehesiveness.

Also I looked through the bug reports that are in this area.

I have offered a patch for #559429.

I think we should merge #660451, #688088  and #688843 and retitle it
"generates false matches in BSD variant licenses". I reckon that needs
some work though it will be tricky.

I also marked #513967 wontfix based on my reading of the report.