licensecheck testing and bug triage

Dominique Dumont dod at debian.org
Fri Nov 27 17:28:19 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 25 November 2015 20:56:09 Nicholas Bamber wrote:
> I have had a play with this, and I agree we can't do away with hand
> crafted test files. However my proof of concept script generates quite a
> few files that licensecheck cannot identify. I think licensecheck
> keeping up with Software::License would be a good test of comprehesiveness.

Agreed.

> Also I looked through the bug reports that are in this area.
>
> I have offered a patch for #559429.

Looks good to me. Feel free to commit this patch to devscripts repo.

> I think we should merge #660451, #688088  and #688843 and retitle it
> "generates false matches in BSD variant licenses". I reckon that needs
> some work though it will be tricky.

I'd rather not merge these bugs. There are indeed similar, but will require
different tweaks in licensecheck (and different test cases)

> I also marked #513967 wontfix based on my reading of the report.

I was thinking that licensecheck could be modified to also check the last 60
lines of a file (or more likely the last 5kbytes to be able to use seek) to
catch the cases where license grant is placed at the end of the file (which
happens quite often in Perl modules where the license is mentioned at the end
of the pod doc)

Thoughts ?

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/