checkbashism perl script.

Adam D. Barratt adam at adam-barratt.org.uk
Sat Dec 24 20:10:13 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-12-24 at 19:54 +0000, Hunter S wrote:
> I was curious why the checkbashisms script contains the following
> line.
>

> $LEADIN . qr'command\s+-[^p]\s' =>  q<'command' with option other than
> -p>,
>

> I found this which I think says both -v and -V are covered by the
> posix spec for command, am I misunderstanding this?
>

> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/command.html

That's the 2016 version of the standard. Debian Policy requires shell
scripts using /bin/sh to comply to SUSv3, specifically IEEE 1003.1-2004.

SUSv3 prefixes the description of the -v and -V switches with "(On
systems supporting the User Portability Utilities option.)". The UP
extensions are not required to be implemented and are thus not part of
the requirements for /bin/sh in Debian. (Similarly to the XSI
extensions, where Policy does explicitly add a few of the extensions,
implying that the remainder are not covered.)

Regards,

Adam